Innovative One Step Double Layer Molding Process - Quality ISBM Containers
Submission Date : 2020-04-06
Image (right) - ASB-12N/DL prototype machine for double layer molding.
Ecological or Premium Quality ISBM Containers
Nissei ASB Machine Co., Ltd. (Head office: Komoroshi, Naganoken, Japan - President: Junichi Miyasaka), a world leading manufacture of machines and molds for injection stretch blow molding of PET and other plastics, wishes to announce the introduction of a new molding process that further enhances the versatility of its line-up of One-Step - Station injection stretch blow molding machines to provide both ecological and aesthetic container manufacturing solutions.
Image (right) - Various double layer cosmetic containers, (numbers in parenthesis indicate molding station of resin).
Previously, multi-layer preform molding has been used to improve container
performance by inserting a thin layer of a secondary material between two outer body
layers of the preform. ASB's newly developed Double Layer molding process (patents
pending) enables the container to be molded with an inner and outer layer in the body
section (Image 1) in a variety of thicknesses, configurations, molding order, or resins as
required to provide additional value and flexibility to the standard One-Step ISBM
process. This method broadens container molding options not only in food safety,
function and design but also encourages increased manufacturing of ecological
containers utilizing recycled PET resin.
To enable this Double Layer molding method, ASB has developed a prototype machine designated the ASB-12N/DL (Image 2) that issimilar in size to its existing small-scale ASB- 12N/10 station injection stretch blow molding machine. This newly developed machine consists of five stations, with a second injection mold occupying the additional station being supplied by its own injection unit (Image 3). The ASB Series One-Step molding process is already well known for its extreme versatility in molding high quality container in a vast range of molding resins â€“ now with the addition of the Double Layer molding process, the possibilities to it is possible dramatically enhance either visual or physical properties using different materials for inner or outer layers.
Image (right) â€“ Additional decorative options achievable by double layer molding with extra thick based jar on extreme left and striped containers at center-right.
- The molding concept has already produced a range of additional applications including;
- Ecological container â€“ Using recycled PET, flake PET Current production of food grade container using recycled PET is limited in many countries due to food safety regulations. By molding a container where the inner later is virgin PET resin, food safety can be assured even while molding the outer layer with lower quality recycled resin (Image 4). The result is the ability to expand the use of recycled resin to a wider range of applications to reduce pollution and preserve resources.
- Air-less pump container An air-less pump container can increase the pre and post-retail shelf-life of various food products. A collapsible inner layer comprising of a suitable resin is formed during container molding (Image 5). As the product is pumped out, the inner layer separates and shrinks away from the outer layer to ensure that no headspace develops over the product, minimizing its contact with oxygen and preserving the contents even after initial opening.
- Moisture barrier container By using PP resin, which has high moisture barrier characteristics, for either the inner or outer layer, moisture barrier can be enhanced in cosmetic containers where the content is particularly susceptible to moisture loss - such as mascaras or moisturizing lotions. (Image 6 - far right)
- Glass-like thick base container The process can be used to fully simulate visually stunning, glass-like containers for premium quality cosmetics. (Image 6 & Image 7) The complex eye-catching colors and extra thick wall and base are available either in bottles or jars.
- Unique design container - Integrated stripes, internal ribs, gradation etc. Additional decorative features such as integrated stripes, internal ribs or gradation etc. can be added to the container design for maximum marketing impact.